Struggling to get the best holiday gift for your Crappie Fisherman? Were here to help!
All throughout America, crappie give year-round fun and a chance for anglers to catch these tasty fish. Lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams are the home to these slabs. Calico bass as they are commonly know are in every state and can provide hours of fish catching fun because where you locate one, you locate lots of them.
We know trying to pick the best crappie lures can be challenging. If you’ve ever been down the sporting goods aisle at your regional large box store, like Walmart, you recognize there’s a ludicrous amount of appeals and lure to choose from.
After you finally make your decision on which one to choose you after that need to pick among about 10 various colors, (of course the one you don’t buy will be the hot lure of the day 🙂 ). With a lot of variables to consider– water clarity, deepness, period, structure, method, weather and so forth, it makes it tough to limit your choices.
Certainly you can capture crappie (in addition to other fish) on nearly anything if you place in adequate time, but I’m right here to tell you what works well for many crappie fisherman (including me). Ask any professional crappie angler what their favored crappie rig is as well and they’ll probably mention minnows or jigs but the artificial lure offerings allow us to be able to fish when we want!
Best Holiday Gifts For The Crappie Fisherman
KastKing Fillet Knife and Bait Knife
- The Right Knife For The Job – The 5” Bait Knife is stiff and strong, it has a serrated top edge that makes cutting frozen bait quick and easy. The razor-sharp leading edge allows the fisherman to easily prepare both chunk and cut plug style baits.
- Non-Slip Super Polymer Grip – We use the most comfortable and slip-resistant, super polymer grips for your safety and comfort. These handles feel great in your hand and ensure that you always have a solid grip on your knife. These handles also clean up easily and stay looking good longer.
Crappie Magnet 96-Piece Kit
- UNIQUE SPLIT TAIL STAYS OPEN; Body has very little action but will consistently outfish skirts and curly tails that have more action
- Proven to be one of the top vertical fishing jigs for Crappie on the market; Has WON SEVERAL TOURNAMENTS over the years
- KIT CONTAINS EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR CRAPPIE: Our top Crappie Magnet body colors, Double Cross jig heads, and EZ Crappie floats; Fish lure vertically or under a float for best results
- This lure simply catches Crappie and is MORE DURABLE THAN TUBE JIGS or other small jigs for Crappie
- MADE IN USA with high-grade plastic and bright colors that will not tear like other plastics on the market
Green LED Fishing Light
- Rugged pro grade fishing light. 10” 6 sided design (12V 40 watt) delivers powerful fish catching light in the water. Perfect for catching bass, crappie, trout, snook, squid, flounder, or an variety of fish at night. Over 1500 lumens of light. Powerful enough to light the night sky!
- Quickly light up the fishing area and the night! With 40 watts of power these green led lights will draw in all the fish around. We are the brightest light on the market for its size!
- Solid construction that is 100% sealed from water and ready to take the abuse of any marine environment. This is the last fishing light you will ever need to buy. Ready for use in fresh and salt water and comes with a 1 year warranty.
Frabill EZ Crappie Check’R Fish Measure
- Measures crappie up to 12″ … the legal size in most state.
- Easy to clean just rinses clean with water
- Easy to read-easy to use for quick and accurate measurement
- Durable of tough polycarbonate
Line Winder Spooler
- Clever tool for loading your reel with braid or mono, or doing simple things like tying a #6 fish hook which from experience it tangles, line slips loose, etc. No more using a pencil hold the reel.
UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Clear Tip design for strength and sensitivity
- Durable and lightweight EVA grips
- 7-year warranty
Okuma Ceymar Lightweight Spinning Reel
- The sleek design and smooth performance of Ceymar spinning reels create a fantastic fishing experience for all anglers.
- Constructed on a fluid 8-bearing drive system and featuring Okuma precision elliptical gearing, Ceymar delivers a full line-up of advanced performance features.
- Refined and compact, the Blade Body Design reduces bulk and minimizes overall size of the Ceymar spinning reel, so anglers can focus on the the fish they’re catching.
Shakespeare Ugly Stik – Ice Fishing Rod and Reel
- Genuine ugly stik blank
- EVA foam handle
- Twist-lock reel seat
- Ugly StikGX2 spinning rods
- 20 size spinning reel with 1 ball bearing
- Ported aluminum spool for lighter weight and added durability
- EVA handle with twist lock reel seat
HDS-7 Live – 7-inch Fish Finder with Active Imaging 3 in 1 Transducer with Active Imaging Sonar
- Most Advanced Fishfinder Technology: Simultaneously view CHIRP Sonar with StructureScan 3D or StructureScan HD to get the best possible view of fish and structure, below and to the sides of your boat.
- Dual-Core, High Performance Processor: HDS Carbon employs a dual-core, high-performance processor with more than enough agility, speed and power to provide faster redraws and quicker response times to easily drive today’s best technology, like StructureScan 3D, Mercury VesselView Link and the Lowrance Outboard pilot. And, it has enough reserve brute strength to drive future high powered fishfinding technologies, too.
- High-Visibility Color Sonar for StructureScan 3D/HD: New dynamic color range and tone strength result in high-visibility contrast never before seen in scanning fish finders. A wider range of color enhances the near-photographic image of SideScan, DownScan Imaging, TotalScan and StructureScan HD/3D quality. Nine color schemes display refined detail showing more fish, more bait schools, improved structure features and dramatic bottom definition.
More Great Crappie Gear
KastKing Fillet Knife and Bait Knife, Razor Sharp G4116 German Stainless-Steel Blade 5″ – 9″, Non-Slip Handles, Includes Protective Sheath, Perfect for Fresh Or Saltwater
I’ve invested a great deal of time filleting fish. After utilizing a selection of various blades, I have used both good and bad blades. I prefer manual over electric for ease of use and control.
If you like eating fish, you require to have a great sharp fillet blade. Sure, electric knives are fast, but they’re not as hassle-free to load, call for power, and also aren’t as reliable as excellent ol’ steel.
Best Crappie Bait
Crappie will certainly consume just about any kind of type of grub bait you throw at them, yet anybody that’s fished for crappie knows that various crappie baits will certainly work better for various days. Below are a few things to keep in mind while you’re trying to fill your bucket with calico bass aka crappie aka slabs.
You won’t believe the difference it can make to a crappie by changing from a pumpkinseed grub to a chartreuse grub. There’s no excellent scientific research to inform you which shades will function, but there are some basic standards around that at least provide you an excellent suggestion where to begin.
- If the water’s clear, try to keep your lures natural-colored, like whatever a crappie might be feeding on anyway.
- On bright, sunny days, the fish are getting a good amount of light in the water. On these days bright colors should be your go-to. Think chartreuse, yellow, electric pink, and the like.
- For darker water, go bright colors again: anything that will reflect light, since there won’t be much of it in the water for the crappie to see.
- If you’re looking at cloudy or overcast skies, go a little darker for your grubs, but choose something that has a flash of bright to it, whether it’s a chartreuse tail or a bright spinner.
Jigs, Grubs and Spinners
If changing out the shade isn’t working for you, transform the lure completely. Attempt utilizing a crappie jig. The Maribou Jig may be one of the earliest, most popular crappie lures available. It’s a favorite of lots of crappie fishers. With a plume tail and a little fuzzy body, they usually come in either 1/16 or 1/32 oz. dimensions, and there’s no upside-down to fish it.
The best thing about crappie baits is that they aren’t expensive, so you can fill up a small, dedicated fishing tackle box to carry with you and swap out as necessary, and not worry if you snag and lose one. If one isn’t working, swap it out, and you’ll be catching slabs in no time.
Here are a few of our recommendations!